Angel Cake Sandwiches with Lemon Curd and Whipped Cream
For the Angel Cupcakes adapted from allrecipes
5 egg whites, at room temperature (let sit for 30 minutes)
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour and powdered sugar. Set aside.
2) Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add cream of tartar and extracts and whip on medium high/high speed until foamy. While continuing to beat egg whites gradually add granulated sugar, whipping until stiff, shiny peaks form. Fold in flour mixture, adding in fourths. Scoop into a lined cupcake pan, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for about 13-15 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched.
Lemon Curd adapted from Gourmet
3 Tbs. lemon juice
zest of one large lemon
3 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. butter, cut into several smaller pieces (faster melt time)
1) Whisk together juice, zest, sugar, and egg in a 1-quart heavy saucepan. Stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubble appears on surface, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer lemon curd to a bowl and chill, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 1 hour.
For the Whipped Cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1) Whip everything together with an electric mixer or stand mixer until it reaches stiff peaks.
1) After angel cupcakes have completely cooled, remove cakes from wrappers. Slice each in half. Place a scant tablespoon of lemon curd on one half and then sandwich lightly together. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. I found that these tasted better the next day- not only had the flavors come together, but the cakes had kind of set up better and weren't as messy.
SOURCE: Dough Puncher