Peanut Butter Mousse Torte
32 Oreos, ground to fine crumbs
5-1/3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
12 oz softened cream cheese
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp whole milk
1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
1/2 cup salted chopped peanuts
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz. finely chopped dark chocolate, 70% cacao or better
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a buttered 9-inch springform pan on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, salt and melted butter. Press mixture into the pan to form a thin layer on the bottom and sides. Freeze crust for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes, and then let it cool completely on a wire rack.
2. To prepare the crunch, combine 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Toss with a fork and set aside.
3. For the filling, whip 2 cups of the cream using a stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment until medium peaks are formed. Beat in 1/4 cup of the confectioner's sugar, whipping cream until it holds medium-firm peaks. Transfer to a separate bowl and refrigerate.
4. Wipe out the mixer bowl. Using paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and remaining 1 cup of confectioner's sugar on medium speed until the mixture is satiny smooth. Beat in peanut butter, milk, and 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts.
5. Next, gently fold in about 1/4 of the chilled whipped cream using a large rubber spatula. Then, stir in the crunchy peanut mixture. Finally, gingerly fold in the remaining whipped cream. Scrape the mousse out of the mixer bowl and into the crust, filling right to the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight) until firm.
6. For finishing, melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from saucepan after about 3 minutes, or when the chocolate softens and starts to melt. Remove from water. In another saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of cream to a full boil. Using a small rubber spatula, stir cream into chocolate gently blending mixture until smooth.
7. Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the torte, smoothing with a metal icing spatula. Spread the peanuts over the top and chill in refrigerator to set, at least 20 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan when ready to serve.