Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Lydia Degaris Pursel
- 5 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons ginger liqueur
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Simple Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon bitters
- Crushed ice
- Nonalcoholic ginger beer, chilled
- Garnishes: orange slices, fresh mint sprigs
Simple Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil, stirring often, 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Remove syrup from heat, and let cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Stir together first 5 ingredients. Fill 1 (16-oz.) glass or Mason jar with crushed ice. Pour bourbon mixture over ice; top with ginger beer (about 1/3 cup). Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Note: We tested with Maker's Mark Bourbon, Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur, and Reed's Extra Ginger Brew and Goya Jamaican Style Ginger Beer.