- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch loaf pan. Line bottom and long sides of pan with parchment, leaving about an inch of overhang on both sides. Grease and flour paper and pan, tapping out excess.
- Sift flour and salt together into a small bowl. Set aside. Put butter, vanilla and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until light and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well and then scraping bowl between each.
- With mixer on low, add flour to mixture gradually until it is fully incorporated; do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife along unlined sides of pan and use parchment to carefully lift cake onto wire rack to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream and berries, if desired.